Saturday, May 14, 2011

Crampbuster Vs Throttle Rocker

Updated 23.05.2011 (and 2014)

I own both of these and having tried both to ease cramp on long rides I want to share my experience.

Both are small devices that affix to the throttle grip to sort of allow you to hold the throttle open by your palm/wrist so you can release your grip around the throttle and stretch your fingers for a bit. Both when installed need to be angled slightly higher than horizontal due to the amount of rotation needed for highway speeds. (this has been the case on 3 motorcycles I have owned and would likely apply to most)

A couple of years ago I purchased a Throttle Rocker seeking to ease hand cramp that creeps in on a long rides and when finishing the day on highways or other boring roads.

rocker_lg

The Throttle Rocker is a good size and curves down on the inside left corner of the lever to interfere far less with the throttle when you back off or are not cruising and coming to a stop. It affixes to your throttle grip with a Velcro loop which unfortunately just doesn't manage to hold it in place for very long. So while it works well enough while fixed in place, no matter what I did it rotated down and loose and became useless within 20 minutes.

Bar_CB2

I purchased the Crampbuster last month for my Easter tour and it is affixed not by Velcro but rather in the way it is designed. It is spring steel that you spread and push onto your grip and once fitted it can rotate up but never down on the throttle grip. That’s the good news. Unfortunately I found that when I was not cruising the Crampbuster often made me accidentally open the throttle more than I wanted to which once was quite dangerous.
It is wider than it appears in the above photo where someone has placed it half on the bar end. There is a thin version however this is far too long and would be more awkward in the off throttle position. People say simply rotate the Crampbuster up and out if the way when needed and then return it into place however this is not super easy on the roads and the tendency is to not do this if just slowing for a small time.

If someone sold one with the same shape and size of the Throttle Rocker but with the clamping system of the Crampbuster then these just might work. Apparently the original Throttle Rockers were exactly this but changed due to infringement on Crampbusters design.

Conclusion:

So how effective are they? The main problem is if sitting level like in the above photo when mounted they will be pointing down when you are on highway with throttle open so you cannot rest your wrist on them as you might imagine. They must be mounted pointing up more to be in the correct position when the throttle is opened on highway and there in lies the problem that pointing up they make using the throttle at low speed and from close sometimes awkward. It is easy to have them interfere with your throttle application.

Theses sort of devices do offer you some means to relax your grip on throttle but are awkward. Still if you are in some pain touring then perhaps try one, the narrow crampbuster may for some peopple not interfere with their riding. They are still a better bet than throttle locks in my opinion as throttle locks all have the bike either gradually slowing or accelerating and the effort needed to engage and disengage then for a couple seconds exceeds the relief they provide. I have tried a couple and consider them next to useless.

Having tried many times over years of touring I have come to the conclusion that neither the wrist rests or the throttle locks offer me any assistance and I have given up on them. As of 2014 I have a FJR 1300 with electronic cruise control and there is no substitute.

11 comments:

  1. Try this one. IMO the only one that works

    http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HappyPuppy, I actually also have a throttle lock device (Vista) however I find engaged it is necessary to constantly adjust my throttle or I end up slowing or accelerating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a crampbuster and love it. It stays in place and when on short rides that I know I won't be using it I rotate it down and out of the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use one attached to my Kuryakyn grips, stays in place and I have also heard of people with larger hands turning them around so they face out of the grip... works better than the others I have tried including the above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Crampbuster. Saved my wrist on last weeks tour. Here are my thoughts http://thetop7.net/2011/03/07/reasons-to-use-a-crampbuster-motorcycle-cruise-assist/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    I found this page when I was googling 'Crampbuster Brisbane'.

    It looks like you are from around here. May I ask where you purchased these clamps? Somewhere here in Brisi?

    Cheers,
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  7. I purchased the Cramp Buster from Aussie Biker shop on north coast (google will find it) as I wanted it asap for the ride I was doing but I usually look for things on eBay to try save a dollar :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I purchased two Crampbusters last year. They both broke in less than one riding season. I emailed the company three times regarding this, asking for assistance, but they never even responded. I'm done with them. I now use a Throttle Rocker. We'll see. RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original crampbuster comes with a 1 year guarantee. There are several sellers pushing Chinese knockoffs, If you didn't buy from a authorized crampbuster dealer you more than likely got the Chinese version. Even though they say Crampbuster on the item they have to come from a dealer to be the original with a warranty.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for the comparison. I have had the throttle rocker and was dissatisfied. But, with time and my hand constantly going to sleep, I have been looking for either another throttle rocker or something comparable. Based on your review, I will try the crampbuster and see how I like it. I remember the throttle rocker kept slipping no matter how tight I tried to make the velcro. Hopefully the crampbuster will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes mine is original and made of spring steel which would be hard to break.

    The fault lies in the design which means to have the item horizontal with your wrist at highway speed it needs to be pointing to the sky at throttle closed position. Just getting going with the item fixed at right angle is tricky. If you twist it out of way then need to stop to adjust back again. Nah sorry just doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete