Sunday, June 01, 2008

Japan Motorcycle tour reloaded #2

Two and 1/2 weeks until I leave now so spent some time further researching this weekend.

Found another motorcycle rental shop, actually there are many however found one close to where I will be staying in the western suburbs of Tokyo that rents Buells and BMWs.
A BMW might make a good choice so have asked re price and insurance and if they rent helmets and luggage which the shop in Shinjuku with the VFR did, however doesn’t look like this place does.

Trouble with shop with the VFR in Shinjuku is its in the heart of Tokyo and is a crazy busy place. This other shop is a fair way out of Tokyo so should be more like the burbs and thus easier to ride to and from. (I hope) The other big plus of this new place is they offer you can pick up the bike the evening before your planned trip for a extra small fee. Now since shops in Japan open 10am this is actually a major point to consider since I was otherwise planning that I would not get far day 1 given I might not leave the shop until 10.30 or 11.00am so basically only have 1/2 a day left.

It is located very close to one of the major expressways which runs west. I have a idea of riding west for about 3 hours on the toll roads to get straight to the area where the mountain roads I want to ride begin and leave Mt Fuji for the return. The places I will ride are in fact the Japanese Alps and the roads are some of the highest in the country. I didn’t know Japan had European like alps. Lots of mountains yes but I had no idea some where as high as these.

Some pics of the roads and area I will ride.

The Venus Line, Tsumagoi Panorama Line & Shiga Kusatsu.



And yes that’s clouds below, I just hope I can get a couple of fine days to ride.

4 comments:

  1. wow....awesome looking roads....planning on going there for holiday....might have to make it holiday plus rideout too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool mate - hope you get a lot of riding in. I have not yet been able to get hold of a bike in Almaty, but am still working on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about this area near Nagano, it looks more like the Italian Alps than Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I studied in Japan and plan to return to do a trip similar to your plans and have found a website - www.gaijinbikers.com -which is a useful blog. I recommend viewing some of their Jaapanese language pages as not all roads are marked in English. Have a great time - I am envious.

    ReplyDelete